Want to find a job that pays a lot of money ? You may wish to know which are the hot jobs and which job opportunities lead to the best paying jobs and which lead to the worst paying jobs. Well, if you want the best paying job in America, you need to be a surgeon. Personally I am surprised I thought all the best paying jobs were finance jobs on Wall Street, but I suspect that a lot of the money the Wall Street whiz kids makes comes from bonuses, so doesn't show up in government statistics on salaries.
You may also have thought lawyers, various legal jobs or accounting jobs were the best paid, or Chief Executives ? Well not so. Overwhelmingly the best paying jobs in America are healthcare jobs of one form or another - 14 out of the top 15 best paid jobs are healthcare jobs, although medical assistants are not in the top 25 - no surprise there ! Managerial jobs in marketing and sales are reasonably well-placed coming in at no. 23 and no. 24.
The worst paying jobs are in the food preparation and serving sector.
Figures from the the U.S. government relating to 2008 show that on average a surgeon makes just over $206K a year - which means that surgeons are above anesthesiologists and have the best-paying job in the country.
Overall, and despite the economic crisis, average wages rose in the U.S. by 3.9% over the year, and are now $42,270.
Want the best paid job ? You need to be a surgeon in Gary, Indiana. Surgeons there make around $15K more than the national average.
Where are the worst paid jobs ? Waiters and waitresses in Yauco, Puerto Rico, who are on $13,610 a year or a counter attendant in a cafeteria in Owenboro, Kentucky, on just $13,810 a year.
The District of Columbia, D.C. had the highest average annual salary, at $67,810. Followed by Massachusetts, New York and Connecticut, at $50,000. Puerto Rico was the lowest at $24,650 -- despite the fact that the cost of living is comparable to D.C.. Among the 50 states, South Dakota and Mississippi are the lowest, at $33,000.
Top 10 Best Paying Jobs in America
1. Surgeons ($206,770)
2. Anesthesiologists ($197,570)
3. Orthodontists ($194,930)
4. Obstetrician and gynecologists ($192,780)
5. Oral and maxillofacial surgeons ($190,420)
6. General Internists ($176,740)
7. Prosthodontists ($168,810)
8. Other Physicians and Surgeons ($165,000)
9. Family and General Practitioners ($161,490)
10. Chief Executives ($160,440)
12. Psychiatrists ($154,050)
16. Lawyers ($124,750)
19. Airline Pilot ($119,750)
21. Computer and Information Systems Managers ($118,710)
24. Sales Managers ($110,390)
Top 10 Worst Paying Jobs in America
1. Combined food-preparation and service workers, ($17,400)
2. Cooks, fast food ($17,620)
3. Dishwashers ($17,750)
4. Dining room/cafeteria attendants, bartender helpers ($18,140)
5. Shampooers ($18,300)
6. Counter attendants ($18,520)
7. Hosts and Hostesses Restaurants ($18,570)
8. Cashiers ($18,880)
9. Amusement and RecreationAttendants ($18,930)
10. Ushers, Lobby Attendants, Ticket Takers ($19,100)
If after all this you are disgusted with the job opportunities on offer you may want to consider work at home jobs or ways ot how to make money online - take a look here - Make Money on the Internet
Home : Jobs